Getting Your Ring Wired Doorbell Plus (formerly Video Doorbell Pro) Back Online
Learn how to get Wired Doorbell Plus back online when your internet is out or has a poor connection.
Top reasons why Wired Doorbell Plus may be offline
If your Ring device is having trouble connecting, the Ring app will show an error with a code that will help you determine your issue. Here are a few top reasons for poor connectivity:
- Your wired Ring device may not be receiving power, is unplugged, or the power is out
- Your location's internet may not be working, or your internet service provider is experiencing high traffic
- You recently changed to your wifi network, wifi password, or internet service provider (ISP)
- You moved to a new location
- Your Ring device may be too far from your wifi router
- Your Ring Chime Pro or wifi extender may be unplugged
When an internet connection is available, Wired Doorbell Plus will automatically attempt to connect to your location's wifi.
Things to check
- Check to make sure your wifi router is plugged in and on
- Check other devices around your home to see if they’re connected or disconnected to wifi. If other devices are not working, there may be an outage in your area.
- Make sure your Ring device has your most updated wifi network and password.
- Check the power at your location, and at the circuit breaker
Things to try
Reboot your wifi router.
Unplug your wifi router and modem for 30 seconds, then plug them back in. Your Ring device will automatically attempt to connect.
Check your Ring device's signal strength.
If your Ring device is far from your wifi router, it may be experiencing connection issues.
- Open theRing app.
- Tap themenu(☰).
- Select theRing deviceyou would like to test.
- Tap on theDevice Healthtile.
- Scroll toSignal Strengthunder theNetwork section.
The green, amber, red colors are indicators of your device connection. Green is good, red is poor. Learn more about Wifi Signal Strength
Move your wifi router off the floor.
Walls, floors, and furniture can interfere or weaken your router's wireless signal. Choose an elevated, central, open location for your wifi router.
Power issues with Wired Doorbell Plus
While it's rare, Wired Doorbell Plus can go offline when it is not receiving enough power from your doorbell transformer or the wires connected to the device are old. Wired Doorbell Plus requires a power source that supplies a minimum of 16VAC. Learn more about troubleshooting power issues
Lastly, if your existing transformer is supplying enough power, take a look at our Wired Doorbell Plus Chime Kit Compatibility List to ensure that your existing internal doorbell is compatible with Wired Doorbell Plus.