Understanding and Adjusting Your Video Storage Time
Ring Protect is an optional subscription plan that allows you to store videos in your Ring account. Your Ring videos can be stored in the cloud for up to 180 days.
Ring Protect plan subscribers can customize their video storage time through the Ring app or Ring.com, and adjust the storage time to shorter or longer periods.
Video storage time options
- 1 day
- 3 days
- 7 days
- 14 days
- 21 days
- 30 days
- 60 days (default in the US)
- 90 days
- 120 days
- 180 days
To keep important videos beyond 180 days, download them to your PC or mobile device.
How to change your video storage time
From the Ring app:
- Tap themenu (≡)on the left side of yourDashboard.
- Tap onControl Center.
- Tap onVideo Management.
- Tap onVideo Storage Time.
- Next to the device, selectEditand choose a video storage option (may vary by location).
From a web browser:
- Log in to your account on Ring.com.
- Go toAccount>Control Center.
- SelectVideo Management, then selectVideo Storage Time.
- Next to the device, selectEdit. Choose a video storage option (may vary depending on country).
More tips on video storage time
- Adjusting video storage time requires an active Ring Protect subscription. This includes trial versions of the Ring Protect plan, although you will need to subscribe to Ring Protect to keep videos in the cloud beyond your trial.
- If you change the video storage time, the new setting will only apply to videos captured after the setting has been changed in the Ring app or on Ring.com.
- If a Ring device is reset or replaced, storage time reverts back to 60 days.
- New devices with a Ring Protect subscription or trial will default to 60 days.
- Devices that are set up with a new owner will default to 60 days.
- If the Ring Protect plan is cancelled and later reinstated, the device will keep the selected storage time.
- Videos will be permanently lost if they are deleted, if your Ring Protect plan subscription lapses or if the video storage time expires. To keep your videos, download them.
- You can share videos by accessing your Ring.com account from a browser or from the Ring app,
Video storage time does not impact the Snapshot Capture feature. Snapshot Captures are not videos and have their own storage time in the cloud of 7 days with Ring Protect Basic and up to 14 days with Ring Protect Plus and Pro.
Videos shared to other platforms
Videos shared to other platforms via a Share Link may still exist through that share link even if the video event has been deleted from the Ring app. Learn more about Shared Video Management.
Frequently asked questions
What Ring Protect Plans offer video recording and storage?
All Ring Protect plans offer video recording and storage.¹ You can also get video storage with a Ring Protect Trial.²
Do I need to change Video Storage Time per device or will it update all devices in my app?
Video Storage Time is per device. Each device will need to be set individually.
What happens if I don’t change the Video Storage Time?
If you don’t change the video storage time, it will remain at the default setting for your country (60 days in the US).