Technical Specifications for Ring Alarm Devices
Learn more about key technical specifications for Ring Alarm Devices like compatibility and battery life to ensure your Ring of Security performs at its best.
Ring Alarm devices are designed to operate in a particular region and can only be added to compatible Base Stations for that same region. All Ring Alarm devices use specific Z-Wave frequencies associate with their region and are not intended to be used or distributed outside of that region:
- UK or EEA Ring Alarm devices:Z-Wave 868 MHz frequency.
- US or CA Ring Alarm devices:Z-Wave 908 MHz and 916 MHz frequencies.
If you attempt to setup a Ring Alarm device that isn’t compatible with your region an error message will pop-up in the Ring app letting you know that the device is not designed for that location.
Ring uses Z-Wave technology to securely send signals between devices around your home and the Base Station. The range for Z-Wave communication is up to 250 feet between the Base Station and the security device. Familiarize yourself with Z-Wave technology and mesh networks to better understand what factors may impact that range and what you can do to improve it.
Ring tests all security devices to ensure their battery life can sustain even the most demanding conditions. While the each devices actual battery life is dependent on day-to-day usage, we’ve provided an estimated lifespan to get you started:
- Ring Alarm Base Station:Internal rechargeable battery which lasts up to 24 hours of battery life.
- Ring Alarm Contact Sensor (1st gen):Uses a 3V Lithium battery, included, which may last up to 3 years depending on usage. Cold temperatures may drain battery life faster.
- Ring Alarm Keypad(1st gen):Internal rechargeable battery which lasts up to 7 months, depending on usage and power save settings.
- Ring Alarm Range Extender(1st gen):Internal rechargeable battery which lasts up to 22 hours of battery life.
- Ring Alarm Motion Detector( 1st gen):Uses a 3V Lithium battery, included, which may last up to 3 years depending on usage.
- Ring Alarm Panic Button:Uses a 3V Lithium battery, included, which may last up to 3 years depending on usage.
Motion Detector specifications
The Ring Alarm Motion Detector is an essential piece of your Ring Alarm system. By following installation guidelines, Motion Detector will ignore pets weighing under 50 lbs helping you to avoid false alarms.
- Mounting Motion Detectorseven (7) feetoff of the ground.
- Setting Motion Sensitivity to Low Detection in the Device’s Motion Settings.
After installing, test your Motion Detector to ensure that it is mounted in the best location to detect intruders. In larger rooms, multiple Motion Detectors may be needed to ensure that there are no blind spots.