Installing Ring Video Doorbell 4 with an Existing Doorbell
If you plan on replacing your existing wired doorbell at your door, you can wire Video Doorbell 4 in its place. Follow these instructions for installation.
1. Charge the provided battery.
- Fully charge the battery by plugging it into a USB power source using the provided orange cable.
- When only one of the two LEDs on the battery is lit, the battery is fully charged.
- Insert the battery into the bottom of your Ring Video Doorbell 4 until it clicks into place.
Note: You may see an incorrect battery discharge/reporting when setting up your Ring Video Doorbell 4 if the device is not fully charged before use.
Please charge the battery completely before setting up your device.
2. Remove your existing doorbell.
If you are replacing an existing intercom, shut off power to your intercom system at the breaker. Then remove the intercom from the wall and disconnect the wires.
Note: Your Ring Video Doorbell cannot be connected to your intercom system power.
3. Line Up your Ring Video Doorbell 4.
To properly line up your Ring Video Doorbell 4:
- Place the Ring Video Doorbell 4 next to your door at about 48 inches (1.2m) from the ground.
- Mark the positions for mounting holes with a pencil.
4 (optional). Drill the mounting holes (when mounting on brick, concrete, or stucco ONLY).
- Use the included drill part to drill holes at the positions you marked.
- Insert the included plastic anchors into the holes. You may need to use a hammer to secure the anchors.
Skip this step if you’re mounting on wood or vinyl siding.
5 (optional). Attach the wire extensions.
If you have trouble connecting the wires coming out of the wall to the back of your Ring Video Doorbell 4, use the provided wire extensions and wire nuts.
6. Connect the wires.
Connect the wires coming out of your wall to the screws on the unit. Either wire can connect to either screw. When correctly wired, you should see a solid white light on the front of the device.
7. Place Your Ring Video Doorbell 4 over the holes.
8. Screw in the Ring Video Doorbell 4.
Feed all the wires (and the wire nuts if you used them) into your wall and secure your Ring Video Doorbell 4 on the wall. Be sure you use all four included screws.
9. Install the faceplate.
Place one of the provided faceplates on your doorbell by slotting it in at the top and clicking it into place.
10. Install the security screw.
Use one of the provided security screws and the star-shaped end of the screwdriver part to secure the faceplate.