Using Camera Motion Zones
Set up and customize your Camera Motion Zones for your Ring devices.
Camera Motion Zones can help you detect motion in the areas that matter the most to you, and reduce the number of "false" motion alerts (such as cars driving by).
By drawing your Camera Motion Zones to exclude high-traffic areas like public paths and roads, you can increase your Ring device's effectiveness.
How to add and edit Camera Motion Zones
- Open the Ring app.
- Tap themenu (≡)on the top left.
- Tap the relevant device.
- TapMotion Settings.
- At the top, tapEdit Zonesor scroll down to tapCamera Motion Zones.
- Note:If you are using a battery-powered device, you may need to toggle onunder Advanced Settings before you can add customizable Motion Zones.
- To adjust an existing Motion Zone: tap the Zone you want to adjust, then drag the points of the Zone to do so. TapSave.
- To add a new Motion Zone: tapAdd Zoneand drag the points of the Zone. TapSave.
Tips to optimize your Camera Motion Zones
Make your Ring device's view as clear as possible. Motion detection can sometimes trigger "false" alerts because of moving trees, lightning, the rising or setting sun, reflections off a shiny object, headlights, shadows, and more. To reduce false alerts, adjust your Motion Zones, remove shiny objects, cut back tree branches that create moving shadows, or angle your device to avoid the sun.
Look for high traffic areas. Note any high traffic areas, such as busy streets or sidewalks. If you receive too many motion alerts from your Ring device, you can adjust your Motion Zones to exclude these areas.
Exclude areas you don’t need to monitor. Note the potential paths people take to approach your device. Then redraw your Motion Zones to exclude areas where you rarely see people such as behind locked gates, hedges, or walls.
More Motion Settings in the Ring app
Motion Scheduling: Schedule timeframes in which you can turn off alerts. For example, if you know your garbage always gets picked up between 7:30 and 7:45AM on Tuesdays, you can schedule your motion detection alerts to turn off during that time.
During the time that motion alerts are turned off due to motion scheduling, you can’t turn on motion alerts manually without cancelling the motion schedule.
Motion Sensitivity Slider: Finetune the area your devices cover. Higher motion sensitivity will increase the number of alerts you get and drain battery-powered devices faster.
To adjust the Motion Sensitivity slider in the Ring app:
- Tap themenu (≡)on the top left of the screen.
- Tap the device you want to view.
- TapMotion Settings.
- TapMotion Sensitivity.
- Adjust theMotion Sensitivity Slider.
- TapSavein the upper right.
Motion Frequency: Motion Frequency for battery-powered Ring devices allows you find the right balance between volume of alerts and battery life preservation. There are three settings to choose from:
- Frequently:Motion detection always stays active, shortest battery life.
- Regularly:Motion detection takes a short break after each motion alert. Medium battery life.
- Periodically: Motion detection takes a longer break after each alert. Maximum battery life.
Smart Alerts: If you have a Ring Protect subscription, Smart Alerts let you refine your motion alerts to distinguish between people and other motion.