A curbside view of a modern home with multiple Ring devices installed

An Alternative to Police Response

When you subscribe to Ring Protect Pro and enroll in professional monitoring, Ring can request police response in case of an emergency if your Ring Alarm is triggered while armed in Home or Away mode. You may be interested in an alternative response when an alarm is triggered by a security sensor or detector device at your home or business. Choose the responders you would like to show up by setting an alternative to police response.

Why Change Who You Want to Respond?

When choosing your responder, you decide who the Monitoring Center will call to request dispatch. You may live in a community that offers private security or another option for receiving an emergency response. In some cases, choosing a different option may provide a faster and more efficient response.

You must be enrolled in professional monitoring and your Ring Alarm must be Armed to receive a response. You must contact Ring Alarm support to update who you want to send instead of police.

How to Setup Your Alternative Response to Police

  1. Contact
    . Inform the Ring Alarm representative that you would like to update your police response option.
  2. Have the name and phone number of the security guard or other responder that you want dispatched other than your local police.
  3. Contact Ring support via email at
    if you'd like to modify your police response options in the future.

Note: You do not have the option to make a dispatching agency your emergency contact.

Additional Information

  • The option to choose your responder is only available where Ring Alarm professional monitoring service is offered: within the U.S. (excluding American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands) and in Canada (excluding Quebec).
  • Be aware that changing your responder is different from
  • Changing your police response only applies to alarming events triggered by a security sensor or detector device.